BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO HERE!

04 October 2005

In less then 24 hours I will face a good challenge - the second stage of my Google job interview. A Google engineer will call me and ask me deep questions to determine the bottom line of my knowledge. To prepare for that, I wrote a list of thing that I would want to refresh in my mind or to read up on.
There are two saying that came to my mind when I finished the list:
* The more you know, the more you forget
and
* The more you know, the more you realise that you don't know a lot more.

On a bright side that means that I must really know a lot to come up with this list, on the other side I will not manage to even browse trough materials on all those topics.

It will be fun :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Aigars Mahinovs said...

I allready did :)
If I succeed, I plan to blog in detail about the whole procedure, moving, first impressions, work culture, ... so that, if any other DDs would consider going to Google, they would have a place to go to read all about it :)

07 October, 2005 04:50  
Blogger Aigars Mahinovs said...

Chris - the interview is very fair and simple. I know that because I had to make similar questions for my previose workplace. Advice? Ok, but just a tiny bit, so not to disrupt the process:
* study up on inner working of the computer - processes, speeds (relative), sequences
* study up on all of the Internet protocols. you should know all that happens on all OSI levels for all popular protocols down to bit level
* study up on basic programming math
* study up on all the standart programming algorythms and some less standart ones (there is not much info online - by a book)
* read Knuth :)
* read up all there is about system administration in general and UNIX/Linux system administration in particular

If you don't know something - that is ok. Say what you do know and admit that you don't know the rest. Be truthful.

The first interview is mostly canned questions, for the second one an expert system engeneer will be asking more specifics, more in-depth questions, more explanations of reasoning.

07 October, 2005 13:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home