BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO HERE!

17 August 2005

Remote restore fixed. Full planned functionality reached.
All that I planned to do for Simple Backup is done as of version 0.7.
Now I only need to wait for the evaluation from my mentors at Ubuntu and to fix all bugs they and all other users find :D

I also did a bit of refactoring in this release oriented towards less memory usage. Results:

  • Memory usage while restoring dropped by 30-50%

  • Memory usage while making a new backup reduced ... tenfold?!?!


I like it :D

What I do not like is the performance of GnomeVFS over ssh (Bug #155872) and also a need to download all the backup image *twice* to restore anything (in the worst case). Sadly I can not do much in either case :(
( Of course I could fix the GnomeVFS ssh module and write a new tar implementation with an external file positioning cache, but I fear that it is somewhat beyond my capabilities :) )

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, but I can't find anywhere the gnomevfs package for python... Are all the dependencies satisfied with the Debian package of sbackup?

# simple-backup-config
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/simple-backup-config", line 34, in ?
import gnomevfs
ImportError: No module named gnomevfs

What should I apt-get install?

18 August, 2005 12:17  
Blogger Aigars Mahinovs said...

Ok, I did not fix this bug in this one place. Replace the line "import gnomevfs" with:
try:
---space---import gnomevfs
except ImportError:
---space---import gnome.vfs as gnomevfs

This will be fixed in the next version of gnomevfs. Upgrading your python-gnome2 package to the version in unstable will also fix it, but I would recommed just doing the substitution like I said above.

18 August, 2005 14:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just started to backup, dont know how long time it would take, to test restore tool :)
I have only one suggestion - could you put both backup config and restore tools under one menu, for example system administration, I got little bit confused till I found restore tool.
Great job!!!

18 August, 2005 23:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home